The hallmark of digital marketing is getting found by your prospective customers. However, the practice is not as straightforward as you may be thinking. Yes, it’s all about selling your products or services online, but putting it all together is the real work. Now we are talking about search engine marketing, and you are asking how it compares to search engine optimization? Of course, you are right to ask such question, and I must tell you that they are not the same!
What is SEM?
It is the use of paid advertising to boost your product marketing and click through on a search engine. Two types of results are listed in the SERPs. You have the organic listing which happens as a result of your SEO strategy, and the paid advertising or sponsored listing which appears as a result of the paid advertisement (SEM).
Your search engine marketing will bring you to work with search engine services like Google, Bing, etc. to bid on keywords that an internet surfer may enter to search for what they want. Each time a surfer typed in a keyword, the SERPs listed the company ads among the top results.
SEM ads are in different forms including Pay-Per-Click, Product Listing Ads (PLAs) or Shopping ads or it could be Visual ads paid that allow consumers see essential information at-a-glance.
We cannot overemphasize the importance of SEM for your business because if we agree that search engine searches provide the way potential customers can locate you, implementing SEM strategy is a wise thing to do.
The benefits of SEM to your business
• It boosts brand awareness. SEM brings your brand directly to the customers to give you a higher probability of being picked among different brands in SERPs.
• Increase visibility. By placing your ads top of SERPs, your brand has higher exposure than most businesses in organic search. You don’t have to compete with millions or billions of results yours take the leading page.
• Competition advantage. SEM compliments your efforts to be top among equals, and the best part is you only pay for the result.
• Greater ROI. SEM is a highly effective marketing strategy that puts your money where your mouth is and rewards your efforts with good return on investment.
Growing your business with SEM
In the realm of digital marketing, every piece of information and tools is relevant to your overall goal. SEM can help your business in the following ways.
1. Keyword search. Successful targeted search engine advertising must follow well-articulated efforts to find the right keywords to use for your SEM. The various search engines (e.g., Google) have their keyword tools to find the best keyword for your search engine marketing. The keyword search let you locate your specific target up to the locality and people you are interested in targeting.
2. Determine your budget. How much you spend on SEM is according to the type of ads and the outcome. No ads cost wastages!
3. Track your result. SEM is not a blind effort, the moment you set it in motion; you can track activities and make an informed decision going forward.
SEM is a powerful marketing tool in the hands of knowledgeable business people. Although you may know next to nothing right now, you need to pay close attention to how it works and use it for the benefits of your brand.